Last week, I got asked a question about what I consider essential makeup. Although I gave a very brief list (concealer, powder, mascara, brow powder), I’ve expanded it below to include what I consider my makeup essentials.
(1) Face Primer: Before you put anything on your face, you want to make sure you have a good base, and that your makeup lasts a while. For oily skin, I’d recommend the Rimmel Stay Matte primer or my favorite primer ever, the Kiko Mat Base primer. The Rimmel primer is more accessible and can be found in Target, Walmart, etc. For Kiko, you’d have to order online. And for dry skin, I’d recommend a moisturizing primer like the Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer so that your foundation does not stick to any dry patches you may have. For normal/combination skin, I’d recommend the Maybelline Baby Smooth Skin Primer. It can be found at most Target stores.
Pictured above: My all time favorite mattifying face primer
(2) Foundation: Foundation helps you even out your complexion. If you have pretty clear skin, then you may want to try a BB cream because it will have less pigment than a foundation. But for those with some acne scaring and discoloration, foundation is the way to go! My favorite drugstore foundation that I use everyday is the L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte foundation. It is great for oily skin, but if you have dry skin, I’d stay farrrrr away from this. My only gripe with that foundation is that it lacks a wide shade range. So, to combat this, I use my second favorite everyday foundation: my Sephora Collection 10 Hour Wear Foundation. The shade range in this $20 baby is aahhhhhhmazing! But if you are looking for an all day-no-budge-put-it-on-at-9-am-and-still-have-it-on-at-12-midnight foundation, then I recommend the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. My shade is C61 Rich Cocoa.
Pictured above: My Sephora 10 Hour Wear Foundation in 57 deep.
(3) Powder: You’ll need a face powder to set your foundation. In fact, you can use the face powder by itself on those days when you don’t feel like putting on foundation! My #1 powder that I have used religiously everyday is the L’Oreal Tru Match Powder. It is lightweight, pigmented, offers a WIDE variety of shades, and it’s only $10! I swear by this powder.
(4) Bronzer: I’d skip the blush step to be quite honest, and instead replace it with a bronzer. After putting on foundation/powder, our face can look a bit flat and too even per se. So, using a bronzer will bring back the natural contours and definition of your face that the foundation took out. I love love love the Sleek Contour Kit or the Shea Moisture Bronzers.
Pictured above: One of my fav bronzer, the Shea Moisture Illuminating Powder
(5) Highlighter: Like I said, glowy skin is in all the time!! For everyday look, I use a highlighter to highlight the tops of my cheeks. And for when I am going out, then I plaster my face with it haha! I looove the highlighter that comes with the Sleek Contour Kit, and I also love using the Nars Albatross blush as a highlighter. It’s amazing!
Pictured above: My Sleek Contour Kit. It has a highlight and contour shade.
(6) Concealer: I’d skip concealer if you have a good foundation. But if you’re looking for a good concealer, the LA Girl Pro Concealers are amazing and they are only $5! Another amazing concealer is the Sephora 10 hour wear concealer. They literally have every shade imaginable for only $14! If you’re looking for a higher end version, I suggest the Estee Lauder Double Wear Waterproof concealer. Nordstrom has it on sale for $22 now!
Pictured above: LA Girl Pro Conceal in Espresso
(7) Eyebrow Powder: Fleeky eyebrows are necessary in any situation. My favorite brow product ever is the Mac eyeshadow in handwritten. The color is perfect for the fairest of blondes, to those with black eyebrow hair and deep skin tones! I’ve had mine for about four years now and I barely just hit pan. I recommend powder over gel or pencil to any beginner because it is easier to handle and not mess up.
(8) Neutral Lipstick: After moisturizing with vaseline, I usually use a brown or brownish-pink lipstick that matches my lips or that is darker than my natural lip color. Check out my favorite neutral lip combo! As for liquid lipsticks, I also like to use Colourpop’s Limbo.
Pictured above: Many of the neutral lipsticks I have from Colourpop
(9) Eyeshadow Palette: I initially started out just using my face powder as my all over eyeshadow, but in the last year, I am proud to say I have graduated into eyeshadow palettes!! My go-to everyday eyeshadow palette is the Stila Mind matte eyeshadow palette. I am in complete awe of this matte eyeshadow palette. I literally has every color I could ever want. It’s quite pricey, so I picked mine up at Sephora in Alaska (no tax!) when I was visiting my friend. Another eyeshadow palette that I am obsessed with is my Ciate London Olivia Palermo smokey suedes palette. Where do I even start with this palette. It has everything, matte, shimmer, dark, light, highlight powder, and the packaging is absolutely gorgeous!
Pictured above: My Ciate London Olivia Palermo smokey suedes palette
(10) Mascara: I feel like I have tried every mascara on the market. Even when I find one that I adore, I am still trying new mascaras! For drugstore mascara, my hands-down holy grail $6 mascara is the L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara. I’ve been using this mascara for about six years now and no other drugstore mascara compares. In terms of high end mascaras, I love the Josie Maran Argan oil mascara, the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, and the Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir mascara. I only get sample sizes of the high end mascara because I don’t think any mascara is worth $23-$26 when I have my trusty L’Oreal $6 mascara on me!
Pictured above: My Too Faced Better Than Sex sample sized mascara
If you have any questions regarding any of the categories, ask me!
This post features affiliate links.